What happened yesterday in sports? A lot, and we are here to recap it for you.
* The Chicago Bulls topped the Miami Heat, 93-89 . This comes after both teams did not make many deadline moves, but the Heat are very much in on Troy Murphy, though I think he will end up a Celtic. Derrek Rose had 26 points for Chicago, while Dwayne Wade led all scorers with 34.
* The Boston Celtics fell to the new-look Nuggets, 89-75. Boston was without Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson, who they traded to the Thunder. Also out was Shaquille O’Neal, leaving the Celtics without any big men after Semih Erden was traded to Cleveland.
* The Philadelphia Flyers defeated the New York Islanders in OT, 4-3. The Islanders took an early lead, but the Flyers stormed back to take this one.
* The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Montreal Canadiens, 5-4. Toronto took a 3-1 lead and Montreal later tied it with two PP goals. But the Maple Leafs scored soon after, and were able to win in Montreal.
* The Los Angeles Kings topped the Minnesota Wild in a key western conference game, 4-2. Also in the west, Vancouver topped St.Louis, 3-2, Dallas beat Detroit 4-1, and Chicago beat Nashville 3-0.
News and Notes:
* Some big moves in the NHL and NBA yesterday. Gerald Wallace was sent to Portland, which really shows the state Charlotte is in. That is all they have, and you have to wonder if folding is inevitable.
* I like the Perkins trade for both teams. From the Thunder side, they get a big man that can really make a difference. For the Celtics, they improve offenseivly with Jeff Green and while Perkins is great on defense, it does not hurt them that much. It is a gamble, with both O’Neal’s hurt, but if they get Murphy I think it’s well worth it.
* The goaltender carosual in Tampa Bay continues. They get rid of Dan Ellis and bring in Curtis McElhinny. I don’t think this makes a difference for the Lightning. The east will come down to Philadelphia and Boston.
* Brooks Orpik will miss the next five weeks for the Penguins. Tough loss after trading Alex Goligoski. Also interesting to see how Alex Kovalev works out there.
* And lastly, an NLL shout out. Brad Bannister, what are you doing? Folding the Roughnecks could kill the league, and you’re fine with it? Take the offer from the Flames and go away.
Tomorrow the Boston Bruins play the Pittsburgh Penguins in one of their most inticapated games of the season. The Bruins are currently in eighth place in the East after their win vs the Hurricanes last night. The New York Rangers lost, so the Bruins remain three points ahead of the team they will play Sunday. The Penguins are in second place in the East and lead their divison. This is the first time the teams have met since Matt Cooke cheapshot Marc Savard and ended his season.
Stats: Leading goal scorer: Marco Sturm (21)
Points: Patrice Bergeron (above)(Credit: SI.com)
Assists: Zdeno Chara
Goalie: Tuukka Rask
Most games played: Blake Wheeler, Mark Recchi (above) (Credit, Bruinscrew.Word press)
Penguins: Evgeni Malkin (knee, questionable)
Bruins: Patrice Bergeron (Knee, questionable)
Andrew Ference (Groin, out)
Marc Savard (If you don’t know the situation by know, you live under a rock)
* Malikn and Crosby will have some excuse to sit out the game. Probally Cooke as well.
* Big win last night. Good to see a 60 minute effort by the whole team. Goals by five different players is always a good thing. It was Bergeron, Ryder, Recchi, Krejci, (who all have double figures in goals) and Boychuk. It was only Carolina, but other thn Montreal they have been the hottest team in hockey.
* X-rays on Bergeron’s knee where negative after taking a Mark Stuart slapshot to the leg. Bergeron is questionable for Thursday. Claude Jullian says the prognosis is a bad bruise.
* If Matt Cooke does not come out of the game peeing his pants, I will be very disapointed. Remeber the Dallas game last year? Seems like a different team now.
* Daniel Paille better start scoring. If he scoes 16 goals, the Bruins get an additional third round pick. If he doesn’t, they lose thier fifth rounder. Come on Paille!
* Tyler Seaguin. Remember tht name. Come on Toronto, keep losing!!
You can predict the goal scorers on the BBS Message Boards at the Bruins Predictions Page threads. You can discuss and chat about the game here. Check out the Video Vault at BBS for Bruins videos.