OK, as baseball season approaches, us at Total Bases hope to start writing daily. There is a chance the blog moves to a new address, but that is still up in the air.
Main point is, I will continue to write about Boston sports with some national news also. Hopefully I can be at some live events for you too. But for lacrosse stuff, read inlaxwetrust.com
The Boston Bruins blew their second straight game after leading by two goals with a 4-2 loss to the New York Islanders. This is the first time the Bruins lost in regulation after leading by two goals. They have three OT losses, one to Montreal and two to Buffalo. Zdeno Chara and Nathan Horton scored for the Bruins. Look for full recap tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the Celtics also lost to the Philadelphia 76ers, their second straight loss after Wednesday’s loss to the LA Clippers. The Celtics were down most of the game, and made a nice little comeback in the fourth, only to blow it. Will probably also have a recap of this also.
In other relevant scores, The Washington Capitals defeated the Carolina Hurricanes, 2-1. The win keeps the Caps in second overall in the east. As I write this, the Ottawa Senators are leading the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1 in the third.
As far as spring training goes, the Red Sox split their split squad games. They lost 3-2 to the Minnesota Twins, while Jon Lester pitched a good game and Jonathan Papelbon struggled. They did defeat the Houston Astros, 9-3. Kyle Weiland got the win for Boston, and Brett Myers took the loss.
Meanwhile, the NFLPA decertified. Shocker. So we miss out. Does the MLL take advantage of this? We will have an article up on ILWT at some point on this.
So to all our loyal followers still here, thanks for sticking around, you will see more action hopefully. Maybe some more youtube videos too.
What happened yesterday in sports? A lot, and we are here to recap it for you.
* The Chicago Bulls topped the Miami Heat, 93-89 . This comes after both teams did not make many deadline moves, but the Heat are very much in on Troy Murphy, though I think he will end up a Celtic. Derrek Rose had 26 points for Chicago, while Dwayne Wade led all scorers with 34.
* The Boston Celtics fell to the new-look Nuggets, 89-75. Boston was without Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson, who they traded to the Thunder. Also out was Shaquille O’Neal, leaving the Celtics without any big men after Semih Erden was traded to Cleveland.
* The Philadelphia Flyers defeated the New York Islanders in OT, 4-3. The Islanders took an early lead, but the Flyers stormed back to take this one.
* The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Montreal Canadiens, 5-4. Toronto took a 3-1 lead and Montreal later tied it with two PP goals. But the Maple Leafs scored soon after, and were able to win in Montreal.
* The Los Angeles Kings topped the Minnesota Wild in a key western conference game, 4-2. Also in the west, Vancouver topped St.Louis, 3-2, Dallas beat Detroit 4-1, and Chicago beat Nashville 3-0.
News and Notes:
* Some big moves in the NHL and NBA yesterday. Gerald Wallace was sent to Portland, which really shows the state Charlotte is in. That is all they have, and you have to wonder if folding is inevitable.
* I like the Perkins trade for both teams. From the Thunder side, they get a big man that can really make a difference. For the Celtics, they improve offenseivly with Jeff Green and while Perkins is great on defense, it does not hurt them that much. It is a gamble, with both O’Neal’s hurt, but if they get Murphy I think it’s well worth it.
* The goaltender carosual in Tampa Bay continues. They get rid of Dan Ellis and bring in Curtis McElhinny. I don’t think this makes a difference for the Lightning. The east will come down to Philadelphia and Boston.
* Brooks Orpik will miss the next five weeks for the Penguins. Tough loss after trading Alex Goligoski. Also interesting to see how Alex Kovalev works out there.
* And lastly, an NLL shout out. Brad Bannister, what are you doing? Folding the Roughnecks could kill the league, and you’re fine with it? Take the offer from the Flames and go away.
Here we go:
Red Sox: Contenders
I like the team they have. They are scoring as I thought they would, and their bullpen is getting the job done for the most part. If Beckett can return and give you number three stuff, thats one solid rotation.
A very solid team that is aging, reminds me a bit of the Celtics. They need Teixiera to heat up if they want to go anywhere though. Their bullpen is better than the Red Sox, and so far the rotation has been too. They just need consistency.
Hard to say, they looked great to start the season. But with Boston and New York on their heals, they cannot afford any letups by their pitching, or injuries. Their offense is not as good as the other two teams, especally with Jason Bartlett out. Longoria, Crawford, and Zovrist are their only real options for offense with Upton and Pena slumping. Their bottom of the order is horrendous with Rodriguez and Brieniac. Do they scare anyone?
Blue Jays: pretenders
They ain’t going nowhere, not enough pitching
Here is your sports recap from yesterday:
Boston scores to note:
The Bruins defeated the Buffalo Sabres 4-3 to clinch a trip to the next round. David krejci scored two goals, while the other goals came from Mark Recchi and Miroslav Satan. The Bruins were up 2-0 in the second before a Dennis Wideman turnover gave the Sabres a goal. The Bruins scored later in the period to extend their lead to two, but Buffalo scored 22 seconds later. Satan scored his goal in the third period, and Buffalo scored with their goalie pulled. In the end, the Bruins held on for the win.
The Red Sox beat the Toronto Blue Jays, 13-12. The Sox jumped out to a 5-0 on Dana Eveland, but Josh Beckett could not hold the lead and was pulled after 3+ innings. Jason Varitek was the hero of the night with four RBIs and three hits.
The Montreal Canadiens beat the Washington Capitals, 4-1. Jaroslav Halak made 53 saves for the Habs, pushing the Caps to the brink. Game seven will be tomorrow night. Mike Camalleri scored twice for the Habs.
The Orlando Magic beat the Charlote Bobcats, finishing off their sweep.
The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Nashville Predators, advancing to the next round.
The Milwakee Bucks beat the Atlanta Hawks, tying up that series.
News and Notes:
* Peter Charelli said that Marc Savard has been cleared to play
* The Red Sox sent down Scott Atchison in favor of Fabio Castro
* The Jets are already after Thomas
Red Sox @ Blue Jays
Heat @ Celtics
Remeber to check out NationalLacrosseLeagueBlog.blogspot.com. With your help, I could be the NLL blog for SBNation!
Dear Theo Epstein,
You are a dope. Nice run-prevention theroy, eh? Scutaro can’t field. Cameron dropped a line drive. Beltre doesn’t know the meaning of the word walk. And why in Hell didn’t you sign some bullpen guys? Rameriz and Delcarmen are triple A players. I’d rather have Joe Nelson and Fernando Cabrera at this point. Even Alan Embree! The JD Drew contract is horrendus. He can’t hit at all right now. But the biggest problem: David Ortiz. Maybe this falls on the manager though. Why isn’t Mike Lowell in there as the DH? The real Big Papi ain’t walking through that door. It’s time to move on, and eat that salary. You where gonna do it with Lowell, a better player.
Another thing. Screw the farm system. It’s Gonzalez or bust. Trade Kelly, Buchholz, Fuentes, Kalish. Win now. Gonzalez is Mark Teixeira. He would put the Red Sox over the edge. Another rumor: Mike Lowell for Jeff Mathis. I like this. Mathis can throw guys out. Put Gonzalez at first, Youk at third, Victor DH. Mathis at catcher. This would be nice.
Love, Red Sox Nation.
The Bruins won their playoff game last night, 5-3. Ryder showed up, Thomas Vanek got hurt, Ryan Miller didn’t shut the Bruins out.
The Celtics won too. KG is likley going to be suspended. He probally deserves it.
Ubaldo Jimmenez of the Rockies threw a no-hitter last night. Not even Jason Heyward could hit him. First in Rockies history.
The Mets and Cardinals went 20 innings last night. Only the Mets…
Aaron Bates watch: Bates went 2-4 for with a double, RBI, anf runin the Pawsox heartbreaking loss to Rochester.
The Blazers need to win next week, or have Rochester lose to clinch the playoffs.
This will be a busy weekend in Boston
sports. Tomorrow is the Final Four, with West Virgina playing
Duke and Butler taking on Michigan State. I take West Virgina
to win it all. The Bruins play the Toronto Maple Leafs
tomorrow night in a must-win(again). The Blazers play the
Orlando Titans in another big game. Of course on Easter
Sunday you have the Total Bases mailbag to look foward to.
Then the Celtics take on the Cavaliers, and of course, the
most wonderful day of the year, Opening Day. At 8:00, the Red
Sox take on the Evil Empire on Sunday Night baseball. I hope
to have an open thread during the game here at Total Bases.
The last Open Thread I had here was game five of the
Yankees-Angels series, in Total Bases early days (October).
My plan is to have an open thread every game except the games
I go too. Pawsox Opening Day open thread will be here
Thursday as well.
The Celtics lost to the San Antonio Spurs, 94-73 . Paul Pierce appeared to hurt his right shoulder, but stayed in the game. Kendrick Perkins missed his second straight game with a left knee injury. Rasheed Wallace was in the starting lineup.
The Red Sox beat the Twins, 11-5. Clay Buchholz pitched 4.2 innings, giving up four runs in the first two innings, one a two run homer from Joe Mauer. Buchholz also striked out seven batters. David Ortiz and Tug Hullet both his three run bombs. Victor Martinez went 4-5 and Dustin Pedroia went 3-4 with three runs. Scott Atchison, Jonathan Papelbon, Ramon Rameriz, and Hideki Okajima also pitched.
The Flyers beat the Devils, 5-1. They now move ahead of the Bruins by two points, and trail Montreal by two points. The Devils loss keeps them in fourth place.
The Penguins beat the Leafs, 5-4 in a SO. The Maple Leafs now trail the Panthers and Hurricanes by only two points. The Penguins stay in second place.
Duke beat Baylor, 79-71. Duke completes the Final Four, along with Michagin State who beat Tennessee. Butler and West Virgina are also in the final four. Prediction: Mounteneers win it all.
News and Notes: The Penguins will host the 2011 Winter Classic. Who else? They will probally play the Capitals, seeing those are the only NHL teams that are relavant. The Pens already played in the Classic, give somebody else a chance. Have Washington host it at Camden Yards and play a team like Toronto, or Ottawa. Or maybe have Toronto host it. Maybe a team like Minnesota at Target field.
The Mailbag is today! Get your questions in by 5:00 pm!
Congrats to the BC Eageles, going to the Frozen Four!
Today the Bruins play the Buffalo Sabres in a critical game. The Red Sox play the Rays at 7:00 pm. I will be in Port Charlote tomorrow to see Casey Kelly and the Red Sox.