What happened yesterday in sports? A lot, and we are here to recap it for you.
* The Chicago Bulls topped the Miami Heat, 93-89 . This comes after both teams did not make many deadline moves, but the Heat are very much in on Troy Murphy, though I think he will end up a Celtic. Derrek Rose had 26 points for Chicago, while Dwayne Wade led all scorers with 34.
* The Boston Celtics fell to the new-look Nuggets, 89-75. Boston was without Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson, who they traded to the Thunder. Also out was Shaquille O’Neal, leaving the Celtics without any big men after Semih Erden was traded to Cleveland.
* The Philadelphia Flyers defeated the New York Islanders in OT, 4-3. The Islanders took an early lead, but the Flyers stormed back to take this one.
* The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Montreal Canadiens, 5-4. Toronto took a 3-1 lead and Montreal later tied it with two PP goals. But the Maple Leafs scored soon after, and were able to win in Montreal.
* The Los Angeles Kings topped the Minnesota Wild in a key western conference game, 4-2. Also in the west, Vancouver topped St.Louis, 3-2, Dallas beat Detroit 4-1, and Chicago beat Nashville 3-0.
News and Notes:
* Some big moves in the NHL and NBA yesterday. Gerald Wallace was sent to Portland, which really shows the state Charlotte is in. That is all they have, and you have to wonder if folding is inevitable.
* I like the Perkins trade for both teams. From the Thunder side, they get a big man that can really make a difference. For the Celtics, they improve offenseivly with Jeff Green and while Perkins is great on defense, it does not hurt them that much. It is a gamble, with both O’Neal’s hurt, but if they get Murphy I think it’s well worth it.
* The goaltender carosual in Tampa Bay continues. They get rid of Dan Ellis and bring in Curtis McElhinny. I don’t think this makes a difference for the Lightning. The east will come down to Philadelphia and Boston.
* Brooks Orpik will miss the next five weeks for the Penguins. Tough loss after trading Alex Goligoski. Also interesting to see how Alex Kovalev works out there.
* And lastly, an NLL shout out. Brad Bannister, what are you doing? Folding the Roughnecks could kill the league, and you’re fine with it? Take the offer from the Flames and go away.
Q: Do you think the Red Sox will be as good as last year?
– Bree (via BBS.com)
A: Better. I love the Red Sox’s depth, more than any other team. If a guy like Ellsbury or Youkilis goes down the Sox are still a playoff contender. If Evan Longoria or Carl Crawford go out, forget about it. The pitching is by far thye best, and the offense is as good as anyone, (except New York) in my opinion.
Q: Could Mark Savard be having a more unlucky year ???
A: Probally not. It’s too bad the Bruins did not retailiate on Cooke Thursday night, they should have. This hurts the Bruins so much, who I think have been playing great. The Bergeron-Recchi-Sturm line is fantastic, and Blake Wheeler looks like he did at the begining of last season. If they had Savard, I could see a serious playoff run. But things look much more bleak now. The NHL is making a new head-shots rule, but it might be too little too late. The hit on Seabrook of Chicago was horrible, as well as Ovechikin’s on Campbell (ironic name).
The Celtics beat the Rockets, 94-87. Pierce had 26 points. The Celtics take on the Mavericks tonight in Dallas at 9pm.
The Red Sox lost to the Pirates, 9-7. I was at this game, right behind the on-deck circle. I got autographs from Chuck Tanner and Ron Johnson. David Ortiz hit a two run shot off Paul Maholm. I am in Dunedin tomorrow to see the Sox take on the Jays,
The Flames beat the Sharks, 4-3. The Sharks scored twice in the final two minutes, but the Flames held on to stay tied for the eight seed with Detroit.
The Oilers beat the Redwings, 3-2. Detroit remains in the playoffs by gaining the point in the SO, with the Flames still behind them. Deven Dubynk got his first career win in net for Edmonton.
News and Notes: Yesterday on WEEI’s Dale and Holley, the Bruins Shawn Thornton said he would have liked to knock out Cooke in their fight. I would have liked that too, Shawn.
Ryan Westmoreland has been moved from ICU to NRU in his recovery from brain surgery.
The Red Sox signed Alan Embree.