What happened yesterday in sports? A lot, and we are here to recap it for you.
* The Chicago Bulls topped the Miami Heat, 93-89 . This comes after both teams did not make many deadline moves, but the Heat are very much in on Troy Murphy, though I think he will end up a Celtic. Derrek Rose had 26 points for Chicago, while Dwayne Wade led all scorers with 34.
* The Boston Celtics fell to the new-look Nuggets, 89-75. Boston was without Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson, who they traded to the Thunder. Also out was Shaquille O’Neal, leaving the Celtics without any big men after Semih Erden was traded to Cleveland.
* The Philadelphia Flyers defeated the New York Islanders in OT, 4-3. The Islanders took an early lead, but the Flyers stormed back to take this one.
* The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Montreal Canadiens, 5-4. Toronto took a 3-1 lead and Montreal later tied it with two PP goals. But the Maple Leafs scored soon after, and were able to win in Montreal.
* The Los Angeles Kings topped the Minnesota Wild in a key western conference game, 4-2. Also in the west, Vancouver topped St.Louis, 3-2, Dallas beat Detroit 4-1, and Chicago beat Nashville 3-0.
News and Notes:
* Some big moves in the NHL and NBA yesterday. Gerald Wallace was sent to Portland, which really shows the state Charlotte is in. That is all they have, and you have to wonder if folding is inevitable.
* I like the Perkins trade for both teams. From the Thunder side, they get a big man that can really make a difference. For the Celtics, they improve offenseivly with Jeff Green and while Perkins is great on defense, it does not hurt them that much. It is a gamble, with both O’Neal’s hurt, but if they get Murphy I think it’s well worth it.
* The goaltender carosual in Tampa Bay continues. They get rid of Dan Ellis and bring in Curtis McElhinny. I don’t think this makes a difference for the Lightning. The east will come down to Philadelphia and Boston.
* Brooks Orpik will miss the next five weeks for the Penguins. Tough loss after trading Alex Goligoski. Also interesting to see how Alex Kovalev works out there.
* And lastly, an NLL shout out. Brad Bannister, what are you doing? Folding the Roughnecks could kill the league, and you’re fine with it? Take the offer from the Flames and go away.
Here is your sports recap from yesterday:
Boston scores to note:
The Bruins defeated the Buffalo Sabres 4-3 to clinch a trip to the next round. David krejci scored two goals, while the other goals came from Mark Recchi and Miroslav Satan. The Bruins were up 2-0 in the second before a Dennis Wideman turnover gave the Sabres a goal. The Bruins scored later in the period to extend their lead to two, but Buffalo scored 22 seconds later. Satan scored his goal in the third period, and Buffalo scored with their goalie pulled. In the end, the Bruins held on for the win.
The Red Sox beat the Toronto Blue Jays, 13-12. The Sox jumped out to a 5-0 on Dana Eveland, but Josh Beckett could not hold the lead and was pulled after 3+ innings. Jason Varitek was the hero of the night with four RBIs and three hits.
The Montreal Canadiens beat the Washington Capitals, 4-1. Jaroslav Halak made 53 saves for the Habs, pushing the Caps to the brink. Game seven will be tomorrow night. Mike Camalleri scored twice for the Habs.
The Orlando Magic beat the Charlote Bobcats, finishing off their sweep.
The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Nashville Predators, advancing to the next round.
The Milwakee Bucks beat the Atlanta Hawks, tying up that series.
News and Notes:
* Peter Charelli said that Marc Savard has been cleared to play
* The Red Sox sent down Scott Atchison in favor of Fabio Castro
* The Jets are already after Thomas
Red Sox @ Blue Jays
Heat @ Celtics
Remeber to check out NationalLacrosseLeagueBlog.blogspot.com. With your help, I could be the NLL blog for SBNation!
The Total Bases weekly Mailbag will be answered on Saturday instead of Sunday this week. I will be in Ft. Myers Sunday and Monday to see the Red Sox play the Twins and Orioles, and will not be able to answer questions. Get in your questions here if you have not already about the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Pats, Pawsox, or their sports. Thank You!
– Total Bases
Here is the second edition of the Total Bases Mailbag. Sorry it came so late, as I was at the Red Sox game today!
Q: When will Bill Simmons be answering questions?
I kid. I kid.
How do you feel watching your Celtics limp the playoffs?
A: Thanks for the question Shaun, and no, Bill Simmons will not be here, haha. I am concerned about the Celtics. But KG and Pierce look healthy again, along with Ray finally shooting again. I know they will get by the first round, but I’m worried for when they have to face the Hawks or Cavs.
Q: What do you think of the Cleveland Indians this year?
Do they pose a threat to the Central or not? Don’t let up on the answer either, it is your opinion.
And how do you think the Red Sox will fair this year?
A: Hey Ted! Honestly, I don’t see the Indians going anywhere for a while. I like their outfield a lot, and their offense, but they need more pitching to make noise. I can see a team like the Royals surprising a lot in the Central.
I like the Red Sox more than a lot of people. I love the rotation, offense, and defense, plus their minor league depth. They have guys like Bates and Reddick who can step in if needed. It’ll be a fun year.
Thanks to everyone who submitted questions, the mailbag will return again next Sunday. Submit your questions here or at the Best Boston Sports .com message boards. Remember, anything Red Sox, Celtics, Pats, Bruins or their leagues. Any Minor League questions as well.
Welcome to the first edition of the Total Bases Mailbag! Here I will answer all your questions on the Red Sox, Pawsox, Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, MLB, MILB, NFL, NHL, or NBA. To submit your question or comment, comment on this post or on the Mailbag thread on the BestBostonSports Message Boards, which is on the Home Page. You can ask as many questions as you want, so long as they are relavant to all the topics above and appropiate. I will try to answer all questions asked. The Mailbag will be posted every Sunday. I know I am cutting it short this week with only two days, but I get impatiant. Thank you!
-Total Bases/BestBostonSports.com Owner