What happened yesterday in sports? A lot, and we are here to recap it for you.
* The Chicago Bulls topped the Miami Heat, 93-89 . This comes after both teams did not make many deadline moves, but the Heat are very much in on Troy Murphy, though I think he will end up a Celtic. Derrek Rose had 26 points for Chicago, while Dwayne Wade led all scorers with 34.
* The Boston Celtics fell to the new-look Nuggets, 89-75. Boston was without Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson, who they traded to the Thunder. Also out was Shaquille O’Neal, leaving the Celtics without any big men after Semih Erden was traded to Cleveland.
* The Philadelphia Flyers defeated the New York Islanders in OT, 4-3. The Islanders took an early lead, but the Flyers stormed back to take this one.
* The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Montreal Canadiens, 5-4. Toronto took a 3-1 lead and Montreal later tied it with two PP goals. But the Maple Leafs scored soon after, and were able to win in Montreal.
* The Los Angeles Kings topped the Minnesota Wild in a key western conference game, 4-2. Also in the west, Vancouver topped St.Louis, 3-2, Dallas beat Detroit 4-1, and Chicago beat Nashville 3-0.
News and Notes:
* Some big moves in the NHL and NBA yesterday. Gerald Wallace was sent to Portland, which really shows the state Charlotte is in. That is all they have, and you have to wonder if folding is inevitable.
* I like the Perkins trade for both teams. From the Thunder side, they get a big man that can really make a difference. For the Celtics, they improve offenseivly with Jeff Green and while Perkins is great on defense, it does not hurt them that much. It is a gamble, with both O’Neal’s hurt, but if they get Murphy I think it’s well worth it.
* The goaltender carosual in Tampa Bay continues. They get rid of Dan Ellis and bring in Curtis McElhinny. I don’t think this makes a difference for the Lightning. The east will come down to Philadelphia and Boston.
* Brooks Orpik will miss the next five weeks for the Penguins. Tough loss after trading Alex Goligoski. Also interesting to see how Alex Kovalev works out there.
* And lastly, an NLL shout out. Brad Bannister, what are you doing? Folding the Roughnecks could kill the league, and you’re fine with it? Take the offer from the Flames and go away.
Yes, Total Bases is still here. I have been very busy with theprolaxblog.blogspot.com (remember to go there to help get me on SBN!) and an upcoming YouTube Sports Show. Anyways, here is a very long overdue Sunday Sports Recap!
Well… The Red Sox lost, 4-3 to the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. The Red Sox took the lead in the ninth off Mariano Rivera, with Bill Hall and Mike Lowell driving in the runs. But Jonathan Papelbon surrendered a run and then Hideki Okajima to give the Yankees a win.
But the Patriots won! They beat Buffalo 38-30. The defense was bad, with Darius Butler birned left and right, as well and Brandon Meriwether. But Jered Mayo and Pat Chung had good games! On offense Tom Brady was Tom Brady, with three touchdown passes, two to Randy Moss. Aaron Hernandez also had another awesome day.
In other sports scores: The Jets defeated the Dolphins. Mark Sanchez and Dustin Keller had big games.
The Kansas City Cheifs are 3-0! They beat the 49ers.
The Cowboys actually won a game so the Super Bowl for Dallas is back on! (end sarcasm)
Now for some News and Notes:
* Bruins head coach Claude Jullian said that Blake Wheeler and Tyler Seguin could play center in marc Savard’s absence.
* Jonathan Papelbon was blaming the ump for blowing the game. Phil Cuzzi was bad, but he didn’t give up the hits to Teixiera and Swisher.
* It looks like the Carmelo Anthony deal to the Nets may be off now. I still think he will end up in NY.
* Not much else going on. Remember to check out my YouTube show the internet sport show. It will be up sometime this week. I promise to write here more often now that I am less busy!
Sorry I have not wrote in a while, it’s been a busy week. I’ll catch you up with everything.
Red Sox: I was at Red Sox games on Monday, Wednesday, and Today. Monday they played the Tampa Bay Rays. Boof Bonser pitched, and got pretty roughed up. The minor leaguers came back, and Ray Chang hit a three run homer. I got an autograph from Terry Francona. Wednesday the Red Sox played the Pirates, and the Red Sox won. I got a ball from Jorge Jimmenez, my second of the spring, the other being from Victor Martinez. Today I saw John Lackey pitch vs the Orioles. He looked pretty sharp. I got an autograph from Dave Trembly.
Mike Lowell fowled a ball off his knee and left the game Friday. I expect this gives the Red Sox an excuse to put him on the DL. If that’s the case, expect Josh Reddick to make the roster.
Bruins: The Bruins won Tuesday night in Atlanta, a huge win. They laid an egg Thursday vs Tampa Bay, and won 5-0 vs Calgary today. Bergeron, Chara, Seidenberg, krejci and Recchi scored today. The Bruins hold a 4 point cushion for the playoffs and move to seventh place with the Flyers losing. The Thrashers play Carolina tonight.
Marc Savard spoke with the media today for the first time since being injured from a hit by Matt Cooke. He said that Cooke has tried to talk to him, but he does not want to talk to Cooke. I am hearing that Savard could return with a deep playoff run by the Bruins.
Vladimir Sobotka returned to game action today while Andrew Ference, just signed to a three year contract (for whatever reason) sat out with yet another injury.
Celtics: The Celtics lost to the Utah Jazz on Monday, while beating the Nuggets Wednesday and the Knigs last night to clinch the Atlantic divison. The Hawks lost to the 76ers, so the Celtics rank ahead of them by one game.
Kendrick Perkins missed last night’s game with a knee injury, and is expected to miss tomorrows vs San Antonio.
Blazers: The Boston Blazers play the last place Philadelphia Wings tonight. If Toronto loses to the Titans tonight, the Blazers with a win could move into second place all alone.
The Mailbag will be Monday. I am in Ft.Myers tomorrow. I will be in Port Charlotte Tuesday, and Sarasota again Wednesday to end my Red Sox spring schedule. I will be in Clearwater Thursday to see the Phillies and the Pirates.