* Justin Upton talks heated up in the GM meetings, with conculded yesterday. The team we heard the most were the Boston Red Sox, but according to Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman, the Arizona Diamondbacks are looking for Daniel Bard and Jacoby Ellsbury. The Red Sox are unlikely to part with those two, when they can sign Jayson Werth for just money.
Other teams interested are the Yankees, Rockies, Padres, Dodgers and Rays.
* Derek Jeter was reportedly offered a 3 year $42 mm contract by the Yankees. If I were him, I would jump on that. But according to sources, Jeter is looking for at least a four year deal, and maybe up to six.
* The Tigers began talks with Adam Dunn yesterday, and even thought reports origanlly indicated they were deep into talks, they were just preliminary. The Tigers are also known to be targeting Adrian Beltre, Victor Martinez and Manny Rameriz. It is possible they could sign Martinez and Dunn
The Rockies are interested in both Upton and Gavin Floyd and Kevin Millwood
Jonathan Papelbon is unlikely to be traded
Rangers, White Sox, Blue Jays, Red Sox and Rays interested in Miguel Olivo
Orioles interested in De La Rosa
Josh Willingham getting trade interest
A busy last few days in baseball….
* The Red Sox traded Dustin Richardson to Florida for Andrew Miller. An interesting trade. Boston needs bullpen help and Richardson was supposed to be a candidate next season. However, Richardson did not have the greatest stint in Boston last year. The case with Miller is very different. Miller was the #6 overall pick in 2005 by Detroit, and traded to Florida for Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera. Boston likes to take chances on pitchers with potential, so maybe a diamond in the rough.
* Florida also traded Cameron Maybin to San Diego for two prospects. This may have been to make room for Mike Stanton long term in the outfield, and the fact Maybin really needed a change of scenery. I wonder how this affects a possible Adrian Gonzalez to Boston trade, as Jacoby Ellsbury was always rumored to be a centerpiece in that deal. With Maybin now, does that change the picture for San Diego?
* The Padres have been talking with the Brewers about prospect infielder Brett Lawrie. What is Milwaukee interested in that San Diego has? Probably not Gonzalez, seeing they already have Prince Fielder. You could also say Heath Bell, but Milwaukee seems comfortable with John Axford. Now you think of starting pitching. Who could the Padres give up for Lawrie. Clayton Richard? Keep your eyes on this.
* The Blue Jays are the favorites for Dan Uggla. First thought is why, seeing they have Aaron Hill. But then you think they may move him to third base as they consider non tendering Edwin Encarnacion. It would make sense for Toronto, but they would certainly have to give up some pitching, for Florida preferably bullpen. They’ve already acquired three young relievers this week, and Toronto has plenty of them. That would be an interesting infield for Toronto with Uggla, Yunel Escobar and Aaron Hill.
I made my before-Spring Training predictions, here are my Opening Day Season predictions. Plus, check out the player to watch feature which gives you a player to watch on each team during the reaguler season.
AL East Player to watch:
Boston Red Sox (Jacoby Ellsbury)
New York Yankees (Marcus Thames)
Tampa Bay Rays (Ben Zobrist)
Baltimore Orioles (Nolan Reimold)
Toronto Blue Jays (Adam Lind)
Minnesota Twins (Orlando Hudson)
Chicago White Sox (Jake Peavy)
Kansas City Royals (Rick Ankeil)
Detroit Tigers (Austin Jackson)
Cleveland Indians (Micheal Brantly)
Seattle Mariners (Chone Figgins)
Anaheim Angels (Kendry Morales)
Texas Rangers (Neftali Feliz)
Oakland Athletics (Brett Anderson)
Philadelphia Phillies (Jayson Werth)
Atlanta Braves (Jason Heyward)
Florida Marlins (Mike Stanton)
Washington Nationals (Nyjer Morgan)
New York Mets (Kiko Calero)
St.Louis Cardinals (Colby Rasmus)
Chicago Cubs (Randy Wells)
Cincinatti Reds (Aroldis Chapman)
Milwakee Brewers (Alcades Escobar)
Houston Astros (Hunter Pence)
Pittsburgh Pirates (Garrett Jones)
Colorado Rockies (Jason Hammel)
Los Angeles Dodgers (Clayton Kershaw)
San Fransisco Giants (Madison Bumgarner)
Arizona D-backs (Justin Upton)
San Diego Padres (Clayton Richard)
1. Evan Longoria
2. Joe Mauer
3. Kendry Morales
1. Albert Pujols
2. Chase Utley
3. Ryan Braun
AL Cy Young
1. Jon Lester
2. Cliff Lee
3. Zack Greinke
NL Cy Young
1. Roy Halladay
2. Chris Carpenter
3. Tim Lincecum
1. Brain Matusz
2. Austin Jackson
3. Desmond Jennings
1. Jason Heyward
2. Mike Stanton
3. Madison Bumgarner
1. Don Wakamtsu
2. Ron Gardenhire
3. Joe Maddon
1. Bobby Cox
2. Tony LaRusa
3. Freddi Gonzalez
AL Comeback Player
NL Comeback Player
Those are my predicitions. My Internationl League predictions will be sometime next week.
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Tampa Bay Rays
Toronto Blue Jays
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
New York Mets
San Fransisco Giants
San Diego Padres
AL MVP Top 3:
Evan Longoria- Rays
Joe Mauer- Twins
Kendry Morales- Angels
Red Sox MVP:
AL Cy Young Top 3:
Jon Lester- Red Sox
Zack Greinke- Royals
Cliff Lee- Mariners
Red Sox Cy Young:
NL MVP Top 3:
Albert Pujols- Cardinals
Jayson Werth- Phillies
Ryan Braun- Brwers
NL CY Youn Top 3:
Josh Johnson- Marlins
Tim Lincecum- Giants
Carlos Zambrano- Cubs
Desmond Jennings- Rays
Jason Heyward- Braves
The Baltimore Orioles will compete with the Rays for the #3 spot in the AL East
The Royals will have a record around .500
Mike Cameron will hit 25 HRs
The Reds will finish over .500
The Blue Jays will have the second worst record in baseball, ahead of only the Mets
I will be right about at least one thing here(I told you, bold predictions)
As most of you probally know, the Winter Meetings in Indianappolis begin on Monday. Most of the time little to noting happens, but you never know. Here is a list of what you may see happen this week.
- Jason Bay’s destanation: I feel that Jason Bay may sign this week, possibly with Boston, Anaheim, or Seattle. I feel the Red Sox LF problem will be resolved, whether that be from Jason Bay or a possible platoon with Jeremy Hermida and Xavier Nady. I feel Bay’s chance of signing with Seattle has dimmed with their siging of Chone Figgins. Look out for the Cubs as a sleeper here as well.
- Trades? Some players that may be used as a trade chip: Manny Delcarmen, Casey Kotchman, Gary Matthews Jr, Matt Capps, Fransisco Cordero, Heath Bell, Milton Bradley, Pat Burrell, Josh Willingham. The Mets are in on Willingham, the Marlins with Bell and Delcarmen, and you all know the Rays-Bradley rumor by now.
- Spenders Revealed: This week the major free agent spenders may be revealed. I can see Seattle, Boston, Both New York teams, Baltimore, and Chicago Cubs. The Cubs are looking for a closer, and their name has been conected to Mike Gonzlaez, matt Capps, and Matt Lindstrom. Baltimore is belived to be a serious contender for John Lackey, and Jason Marquis is interested in the Mets, though it is unknown if the Mets are interested in him.
- Recent Trades and Signings: Some recent trades and sigings that mey affect other deals: The Rays aquired C Kelly Shoppach, Greg Zaun signed with the Brewers, The Braves signed Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito, The Athletics traded for Jake Fox and Aaron Miles, The Rangers aquired Joe Inglett off waivers, and the Red Sox signed Marco Scutaro.
Here is all the type A and B players, who can be offered Arbitration today.
Type As: Bengie Molina SFG Billy Wagner BOS Chone Figgins LAA Darren Oliver LAA Jason Bay BOS Jermaine Dye CWS John Lackey LAA Johnny Damon NYY Jose Valverade HOU Kevin Gregg CHC LaTroy Hawkins HOU Marco Scutaro TOR Randy Wolf LAD Matt Holliday STL Miguel Tejada HOU Mike Gonzalez ATL Octavio Dotel CWS Orlando Cabrera MIN Orlando Hudson LAD Placido Polonco DET Rafeal Betancourt COL Rafeal Soriano ATL
Type Bs: Adam LaRouche PIT Adrian Beltre SEA Andy Pettitte NYY Bob Howry SFG Brandon Looper MIL Brandon Lyon DET Brain Giles SDP Brain Shouse TBR Carl Pavano MIN Carlos Delgado NYM Chan Ho Park PHI David Weathers MIL Doug Brocail HOU Doug Davis ARI Erik Bedard SEA Felipe Lopez MIL Fernando Rodney DET Fernando Tatis NYM Garret Anderson ATL Greg Zaun TBR Ivan Rodriguez TEX Jason Kendell MIL Jason Marquis COL Joe Beimial COL Joel Pinero STL Jon Garland LAD Justin Duchester OAK Mark DeRosa STL Marlon Byrd TEX MFelvin Mora BAL Miguel Olivo KCR Mike Cameron SEA Nick Johnson FLA Randy Johnson SFG Randy Winn SFG RIch Harden CHC Rod Barjas TOR Ronnie Belliard LAD Russ Springer TBR Scott Eyre PHI Tory Glaus STL Vincente Padilla LAD Vladimir Gurerro LAA Xavier Nady NYY Yorvit Torrealba COL
Jed Hoyer will offically be announced Padres GM today.
Carlos Beltran is not on the trading block.
Tyler Yates has elected free agency.
The Royals may trade Joakim Soria.
The Yankees will play the Phillies in the World Series.